Classification: Confidential

NO. IEFBR14 will allocate the space. However the dataset will not  be opened.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of CM
Poncelet
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 10:52 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Potential Resource Savings Techniques

[CAUTION: This Email is from outside the Organization. Unless you trust the
sender, Don’t click links or open attachments as it may be a Phishing email,
which can steal your Information and compromise your Computer.]

I could be wrong, but I had the vague impression that allocating datasets via
IEFBR14 did not *physically* allocate them on DASD - but that they were
physically allocated only when an 'OPEN for WRITE' was issued against them. BTW
I cannot check this, as I have no access to a mainframe (8+ years.)

On 12/05/2022 15:06, Pommier, Rex wrote:
> David,
>
> My point was that if you allocate the dataset with a very small
> primary and large secondary, if the dataset is never opened, you've
> only wasted a cylinder of space instead of 500.  I just played with
> Richard's suggestion of using SPACE(CYL(0,500),RLSE) and it works just
> fine, allocating no space unless the dataset actually gets opened and
> data written to it.  For some reason I had it stuck in my head that
> strange things happened if you set a primary space of 0 but that
> doesn't appear to be the case.  So even in my old age I learned
> something.  :-)
>
> Rex

::DISCLAIMER::
________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission.
The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore
not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or
opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any
form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written
consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for
viruses and other defects.