On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Steve Thompson <sthomp...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> From:   Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
> Date:   04/07/2013 06:15 PM
>

> On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 18:08:54 -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:
> >
> >As a result this wonderful language, Java, has no sequence numbers, can
> be
> >wider than your wide LCD panels. Now you need to make a change to
> >something because of a bug report. How do you note the fix? And how do
> you
> >send it? So far as I have seen, you pretty much re-release the whole
> >product.
> >
>     http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/patch.html
>
> <snip>
>
> I read this rapidly. I'm trying to understand certain headaches "we" have
> with certain products where it seems that you have to do a re-install to
> put on fixes [and I do not necessarily mean here at IBM].
>
> I did notice that the "Patch" document refers specifically to a POSIX
> environment and "C" protocols as one would (at least me) expect to find in
> a *nix world.

Patch is the unix version of SUPERC that shows the delta between source
files.

diff3 allows a 3 way merge between the original source and 2 different
updates to the original source.  see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff3

I believe the point is that source maintenance can be done without the line
numbers.