From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 9, 2022 3:49 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ] Re: "A Rexx" (or "A REXX")

I know you're being facetious, but it happens I ~like~ the subjunctive.  At
least, I do now that I understand it.  I was barely exposed to it in English,
and when they tried to teach it to me in French class it didn't take.  It
wasn't until I studied classical Greek in college that I finally got it.  Now I
think it's a shame we're losing it.

I especially cringe when the flight attendant says "It's important that your
seat belt is fastened at all times".

On the other hand, I heartily reject the notion that we should never split an
infinitive or end a sentence with a preposition.  Both claims are based on
Latin and Greek, which have a one-word form for the infinitive and affix
prepositions in front of verbs at least as often as letting them precede the
object noun.  English is a Germanic language, and as such has its own forms.
And our "prepositional verbs" are a rich source of extra meaning which I'd hate
to lose.

(About the rule that you never end a sentence with a preposition, one writer
says this:  "My son doesn't believe this rule.  He thinks a preposition at the
end of a sentence gives it zing - shows us where it's at.  I went upstairs to
read to him at bedtime the other night, and he said 'What did you bring that
book that I didn't want to be read to out of up for?'.")

---

/* We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in
it -- and stop there -- lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot
stove-lid.  She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again, and that is well;
but also she will never sit down on a cold one any more.  -Mark Twain */