Enzo D'Amato wrote:
>The drives have been pulled from everything (disk shelves, power
>controllers, and possibly the HMCs).

OK, that sounds bad.

The missing “main” drives tend to happen (unfortunately), and it means you’d
have to find the replacement drives/enclosure. But yanking the drives from the
Central Processor Complexes (integrated POWER8 servers) and HMCs is really
drastic. Getting all the replacement parts is one thing (difficult enough), and
then restoring them back into service is another. And they’d have to be
restored with the “Z Synergy” license entitlement, because otherwise you don’t
get FICON. Those are a lot of variables that all have to go right.

Maybe one of my colleagues could chime in, or other experts, but it seems like
there’s a lot of damage to this unit. :-(

For what it’s worth I see a company called ISM that has an IBM DS6800 (1750-522
in this case) listed for sale with a 4 figure price tag. The DS6800 supports up
to 2 Gb/s FICON, so that’ll work with the FICON ports on your z114 (they’ll
negotiate to 2 Gb/s). Their unit includes four 300 GB hard drives. I don’t know
if you can strike a mutually agreeable deal, though. (But do you really need
ECKD/FICON storage yet? You don’t for Linux, z/VM, or VSEn.)

Also keep an eye out for IBM 1750-511 (also DS6800/DS6000), Visara 8810,
Bus-Tech zDASD 3990, and the aforementioned FLEXCUB equipment to see if there
are any reasonable deals.

— — — — —
Timothy Sipples
Senior Architect
Digital Assets, Industry Solutions, and Cybersecurity
IBM zSystems/LinuxONE, Asia-Pacific
sipp...@sg.ibm.com