If you have FDR they have a very safe way of extending the VTOC.  I have done
it multiple times sometimes at 3 a.m.
Willie

    On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 06:15:35 a.m. EDT, Jack Zukt
<jzuk...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi all,
It has been way too many years since the last time I dabbled with ICKDSF
and VTOC definitions (probably over twenty, but I would rather not do the
math).
Back on those days, if memory serves me right, the only way to extend a
VTOC was to clean the DASD of all its contents, put it offline, and
recreate the VTOC with the new size. As a few years have passed, I have
been going through the ICKDSF manual trying to find out if a VTOC can be
extended without having to clear the volume first. I can not say that I
have became enlightened. It seems to be possible but I am not quite sure
about it. And this being a production volume I really would hate if things
do not work as expected.
So, in a nut shell, can I extend a VTOC from 90 to 900 tracks without
having first to clean the DASD of all its files?
Thank you in advance for any help,
Best regards
Jack