Thank you all for your input.
Unfortunately I do not have FDR on this system. That would be a very good
option (my problem is with files that have enqueues from active STCs, such
as a few CICS address spaces. And the next programmed IPL is still a long
way away... And this is a model 27 that on which was placed a VTOC that
would be small on a  model 3. So, there is free space on the DASD but not
on the VTOC.
Best regards,
Jack