≫ Little argument other than the economic balance between silicon and carbon,
counting learning in the latter.  How much data?

Paul,

Take a simple of case less than or equal to 5 Million records. You can run a
test and see for your self as to how much it takes to do the same using REXX vs
DFSORT.

>>    ... address LINKMVS DFSORT ...

Aren't you invoking DFSORT from REXX?  I think you skipped reading the text in
BOLD

 " Moreover you need to have the Data SORTED before you can calculate the
deltas and you need to invoke SORT or have a separate step to sort the data"

≫" ... everything looks like a nail."  (Yes, to Bob and me also.)

We can debate about it, but in the end, if someone asks for a DFSORT solution
and if it can be done using it, then I will try to post which would show case
the rich features available with the product.

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation