On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:38:19 +1000, Andrew Rowley  wrote:

>If we're looking at alternatives, there's also Java. I can never
>understand what the DFSORT solutions are doing from reading the control
>cards, ...

+1
The DFSORT command syntax is dreadful -- too positional.  It's
hard to read ...,keyword,value,keyword,value,...
Considerably better would be ,keyword(value), or ,keyword=value,...
I suppose the design is OK to programmers versed in it, but it
repels the novice.  It may be easy for a computer to parse,
but silicon is now cheaper than carbon.

> ... and I'm sure I am not alone there. A programming language makes
>it much easier for the person who has to understand it in the future.

DFSORT is properly data driven, like some of my favorite UNIX utilities;
it's the correct design.

MVS, however, makes it unduly difficult to combine utilities.  DFSORT
has a transformation to upper case; UNIX sort needs none.  It's
easy enough to:
    sort <arguments> | awk '{ print toupper() }'

No need to replicate such a function in every utility that might need it.

--
gil