Thanks for the reminder about the zoautil_py functions, I did know about them
but there are gaps -- e.g. ZOAU has no direct support for simple sequential
processing of VSAM files (e.g., to download a copy of VSAM data to a flat file
in the Unix Services environment for analysis there).  I have used a Rexx
script that executes the FileManager batch utility program FMNMAIN to perform
such functions.  The FileManager batch program proved to be the most compatible
in generating correct Unix Services output files for various flavors of VSAM
input files where IDCAMS REPRO or DFSORT "OPTION COPY" outputs were less so.

Re: "ADDRESS TSO" needs - Rexx is not necessarily needed, as there is also the
Unix Services command "tso" (or "tsocmd" for authorized services) to execute a
single TSO command.  The python subprocess.run() function could handle
executing that command and capturing the output as needed.

For more complicated "ADDRESS TSO" needs, yes one can execute a Rexx script in
the Unix Services environment which uses "ADDRESS TSO" to execute a Rexx script
also stored in that environment (or in an MVS library assigned to SYSEXEC) that
then actually uses "ADDRESS TSO" functions.  A bit Rube Goldberg, but it does
work, as my recent experimentation with getting LISTDSI output from the Unix
Services environment proved.  Conceivably one could write that first Rexx
script to set up an ISPF environment (all the needed DD's, etc.) and execute
the second (functional) script in an ISPF environment (I haven't tried that
yet; here there be dragons).

Re: Writing an MVS I/O package for IBM python - ISTM that without documentation
of the runtime architecture of the IBM python port (and also possibly access to
the source of the port) it is not likely to succeed.  OCO strikes again.

The new DSFS functionality may or may not relieve the need for an MVS-specific
I/O package.  That remains to be seen.

Peter