We had an internal debate about the stability of SYSNAME and smfID in a
sysplex.  The discussion was that smfID is not stable and can be changed and
that there can be more than one system in a sysplex with the same sysname /
smfid.  I haven’t had a chance to try it out but the argument seems to be
counterintuitive that anyone would use the same SYSNAME / SMFID in a SYSPLEX.

The IBM documents to not specifically say that it is not allowed but I’m
curious if anyone has seen such a configuration / can think of a reason why you
would do that.

The problem I’m trying to get a handle on is to uniquely identify a z/OS
instance over time and the SYSPLEX.SYSNAME seemed like a good combination (I
still think that they will be stable over time) but I thought I’d pose the
question to the brain trust here.

Another proposal was to use the hostname / domain name as unique but it seems
that you can have multiple instances of those depending on how many TCPIP
stacks you are running in a z/OS instance.

Thoughts?

Matt Hogstrom
m...@hogstrom.org

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom