Tony Harminc wrote:
>There *was* something called UTF-EBCDIC, but IBM and UNICODE seem to have
>abandoned it shortly after it was written.

> <https://unicode.org/reports/tr16/tr16-7.2.html>
> https://unicode.org/reports/tr16/tr16-7.2.html

>I've never understood why there was so little interest shown in it; it
>seemed to me to fill the bill very nicely.

At the risk of sounding.something, what bill is that? If you're going to muck
with encoding, go to UTF-8 and be done with it. I'm
not being flip-I have to deal with ASCII/EBCDIC/UTF-n in a format-preserving
data protection environment, which is even more complex
(normalization, for one thing), so I'm by no means minimizing the pain. But it
feels kinda like https://xkcd.com/927/ .