<snip>
The code runs in an exit
</snip>
In case it matters (unlikely as that is), what kind of "exit"? At least "is it
some sort of WTO-related exit"?

--> No, it is not a WTO-related exit.

<snip>
Is there something in the WTO parameters that causes the IEF170 message to
disappear ?
Maybe a combination of MCSFLAG, DESC and ROUTCDE ?
</snip>

The first question for any WTO is where do you want it to go? You then set
MCSFLAG, DESC, and/or ROUTCDE to meet that desire.
IEF170I comes from Write To Programmer processing (either by the WTP macro or
by WTO(r) with routing code 11).

--> MCSFLAG=HRDCPY did it. I did not set ROUTCDE or DESC. I no longer get the
IEF170I message.

I would not have expected routing code 11 to be included by default. Perhaps
you have some WTO-related exit that changes the routing codes.
And perhaps the environment of your exit is not appropriate for WTP.

Thanks to all, Pierre.