I worked on the mainframe “cloud” in the 1980’s. GM consolidated data centers
in Charlotte. (EDS) Most of the manufacturing facilities were in the Midwest.
1983. I was part of the first successful migration. Still have the little
congratulatory marble square with the gold emblem. I don’t cringe about the
“cloud” now just as I didn’t then. Although, I didn’t think in 1983 they could
pull it off. Certainly there are differences now, but the basic point was to
allow processing at a central location from anywhere in the world.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, October 20, 2022, 5:25 PM, Paul Gilmartin
<0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 20:54:31 +0000, Bill Johnson wrote:

>That’s not going to sit well with the “mainframe is dying” crowd. It will
>still be the best platform in the world long after most of us have retired.

But the mainframe traditionalists will cringe at the word "cloud".

Note that this thread originated because the OP's environment and a supplier are
lethargic in adding HTTPS to their tools repertoire, preferring to stay with
FTP.

--
gil