Resent, first one with prior email included went to junk.

It should be, but it's not:

Change 23.219  The ICF Catalog 05 record variable GATGEN should have
VMAC6156       been input as &PIB.2., instead of one byte, and variable
VMACCTLG       GATWRAP='Y' is now set if the first bit of GATGEN is on,
Aug 29, 2005   to mark that this GDG member has "wrapped"; i.e., its
               generation number has exceeded 9999.  If GATWRAP is on,
               GATGEN=GATGEN-32768 to contain the correct Gen number.
               This discovery was precipitated by IGD07001I ABENDs in
               production, which occurred when a GDG that had GATWRAP
               on for some members, and GATWRAP off for others, when
               that GDG generation number goes from 999 to 1000.
                 Normally, when all members of a GDG have wrapped, the
                 next catalog action turns off the wrap bit in all of
                 the catalog records.  For a "normal" GDG, that should
                 happen when the +256th gen is created after wrap, as
                 only 255 members can exist in the catalog.  But this
                 site had had a very old application that originally
                 created +1 thru +5 each day, and then deleted +1 thru
                 +4, leaving only +5 in the catalog.  However, back when
                 Clinton was President, an application change was made
                 that created only +1 thru +3 and deleted only +1 & +2,
                 so there were 2 old GooooVoo's left in the catalog.
                 When the GDG wrapped, and when the create of +1 would
                 have created G1000V00, those old GooooVoo's still had
                 their wrap bit off, and the production job failed:
               IGD07001I; GDG ROLL IN ERROR - RETURN CODE 140 REASON 122
                 Return Code 140:
                   Inconsistent or conflicting arguments were provided.
                 Reason Code 122:
                   Catalog G1000Vxx will cause the GDG to exceed the
                   limit of 10,999.
                 Programmer Response:
                   Clean up the GDG in error then catalog G1000Vxx.
               The site found Information APAR II07276, which explained
               how wrap works, but it says to 'see the "Z" page for
               internal details of the wrap bit interface'.

               So the site asked IBM Support: "We need to identify other
               GDGs that have the same exposure to causing ABENDs.  Can
               I look at the 'Z' page?  Does the 'wrap bit' appear in
               SMF 61, 65, 66 ICF Catalog records?"

               IBM Level 2 Catalog Support refused to answer the quite
               valid question, with this answer:
                 "Unfortunately, the 'Z' page in our info APARs refer to
                 information meant for IBM eyes only, for helping us get
                 to problem determination quicker.  We are not at
                 liberty to discuss any control block internals that are
                 not provided in our published manuals.  As for
                 information in SMF records relating to this, this info
                 would be included in the updated record portion
                 of the SMF record, however we cannot discuss offsets
                 for those either.  I am sorry I cannot be more helpful.
                 Please let me know if there are any other questions
                 that I can answer for you."

               Even escalation to my IBM Poughkeepsie z/OS support did
               not convince IBM Level 2 Catalog Support to identify
               which bit is the "GATWRAP" bit.  The ICF Support and
               Developers hid behind "OCO", Object Code Only, as the
               reason they could not provide catalog record
               documentation (but DSECTS are NOT CODE!).

               So I suggested the site could create a GDG and force it
               to wrap, and by examining SMF records, we concluded that
               first bit of GATGEN was the GATWRAP bit.

               Then, I remembered I still had lots of archaic printed
               manuals, and located the very old "MVS/XA Catalog
               Diagnosis Reference for DFP Release 1.2", which confirmed
               that the GATWRAP bit was indeed the first bit of the
               GATGEN field in the 05 Catalog Record!

Herbert W “Barry” Merrill, PHD
President-Programmer
Merrill Consultants