If you are doing sequential reads and writes, half track is the best
you can do.  If you are random reading small records, I.E. 80 byte,
400 bytes, 2000 bytes; then smaller blocks lead to less I/O per
record, since you aren't using most of the data read, and the larger
the block the less you use.  VSAM use a 4K physical record unless you
specify a very large CI size.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 11:56 AM Paul Gorlinsky <p...@atsmigrations.com> wrote:

> Short block more efficient? Elaborate please. Space utilization and efficient
> are not necessarily the same. Latency issues vary a lot depending on the
> exact box being used for DASD. DS6K v DS8K. DS8K with rotating v solid-state
>
> QSAM v BPAM v BSAM v etc...
>
> General guidelines ...

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA