I have produced documents for years with xelatex and (lately) luatex (because,
imho, those are the only solution that gives typographical freedom, and
predictable, constant page layout, and optimal quality.
I am keeping that setup probably forever, but am moving to Markdown and pandoc
conversion to LateX source, because it works, and makes the sources easily
readable (and editable via for example using GitHub or SourceForge) also for
incidental collaborators. XML-DocBook solutions I gave up on because low
readability and only commercial processors gave quality output - this is the
sad story of Apache FOP and a host of DocBook toolchains.

I still keep the skeleton setup as LateX - asciidoc and family, and also pandoc
pdf generation just don’t give me that quality. It helps to go requesting
commercial publishing houses for their TeX setup files, there is a lot to learn
there. I try to use shell escape where possible to guarantee that example code
is correct by XeteX having execute them and including the actual output in the
document compile.

best regards,

René.