And...there it is, the infamous Gilmore rudeness.

This is by definition a professional forum. When you aren't having a
tantrum, your responses *do* add value, but then you lose it again.

Steve Comstock's post quite reasonably noted that what you found in the
PofOp is not what COBOL and friends mean by "packed decimal", nor is it
what the instructions that work on packed decimal expect. I'd more call
this an error in the PofOp than anything else (and plan to RFC it).

In any case, your response was, as it so often is, unprofessional. You took
yourself off the assembler list because you couldn't bear the thought of
comity <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comity>; far be it from
me to suggest you do the same here, but be advised that your pissiness
makes you look foolish, and is hardly in keeping with the intent or tone of
the list.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The PrOp says:
>
> | There are two signed-decimal formats,
> | signed-packed and unsigned-packed.
>
> This is clear.  It is also clear that mixing them combined with
> data-type punning can lead to disaster.
>
> Finally, it is clear that Mr. Comstock is not so well read in the
> current, i.e., 2008, PrOp as he should be.  He and others should do
> their homework before they pontificate.  In one of John McCarthy's
> favorite apothegms: Do the math or shut up.
>
> John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"