On 4/24/2013 11:01 AM, John Gilmore wrote:
The PrOp says:

| There are two signed-decimal formats,
| signed-packed and unsigned-packed.

This is clear.  It is also clear that mixing them combined with
data-type punning can lead to disaster.

Finally, it is clear that Mr. Comstock is not so well read in the
current, i.e., 2008, PrOp as he should be.  He and others should do
their homework before they pontificate.  In one of John McCarthy's
favorite apothegms: Do the math or shut up.

Interesting defensive position, John. Attacking in defense
of your fastidiousness. I would not call my posts 'pontificating';
I thought we were having a discussion, some give and take,
if you will.

I actually had read that stuff about unsigned packed
decimal some years ago but decided to ignore it because
it was not practical from the standpoint of the audience
I work with, z/OS applications developers.

Perhaps I was wrong in that perception. Let me put it
out now:

  how many people are using decimal floating point
  in Assembler?

I suppose there are some who use it from a high level
language, most likely Java, but I suspect it has not
caught on in a big way yet, in any language.

Clearly the OP was not including what I think I will
start calling 'pseudo-packed-decimal' in his question.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html