Bill,

I wrote a blog post <https://colinpaice.blog/ibm-blog-april-2015/>on this
many years ago.   I think you want ADRDSSU with Fastreplication
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.1.0?topic=ecck-fastreplication>

*How it works.*
The storage control unit has a list of all "tracks" used by a dataset.
To copy a dataset by fast replication the hardware just copies this list -
this takes seconds.
As the original dataset is updated, the list of  its "tracks" is updated.
The copy's list stays constant.  Over time the list of the original and
copy diverge.

Making the fastcopy does not use any disk space.  As the original dataset
is updated the number of "tracks" in use will increase.

To make a DR backup - you have to copy it off the DISK subsystem onto
another subsystem ( or tape, or FTP it).   This can take a long time ( many
minutes or hours)
Colin