Bill,

A couple questions back.  Do you have DFDSS/DFSMS-dss/ADRDSSU?   Are you
licensed on your DS8K for flashcopy?  Is the target disk volume involved in a
PPRC replication scheme (global mirror or the like) with a secondary array?  If
you answer yes to the first 2 questions and no to the third, this is an example
that works for us.

//STEP005 EXEC  PGM=ADRDSSU,REGION=0M
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN   DD  *
  COPY DATASET(                             -
         INCLUDE(                           -
     PVS.CL.AGENT                         -         <<<< source dataset - is on
a replicated volume but source doesn't matter to FC
                 ))                         -
    CANCELERROR                          -
    CATALOG                              -
    RENAMEUNCONDITIONAL(                 -
         (PVS.CL.AGENT,                  -
          PVS.C6.AGENT.REX))             -     <<<<< my target is on a disk not
being replicated to our secondary site
    SPHERE                               -
    TOL(ENQF)                            -
    TGTALLOC(SOURCE)                     -
    FR(REQ)                              -          <<<<<<<  I'm telling DFDSS
it has to use flashcopy
    WAIT(2,2)

And here's the output of the job.

ADR101I (R/I)-RI01 (01), 2023.048 12:27:32 TASKID 001 HAS BEEN ASSIGNED TO
COMMAND 'COPY '
ADR109I (R/I)-RI01 (01), 2023.048 12:27:32 INITIAL SCAN OF USER CONTROL
STATEMENTS COMPLETED
ADR016I (001)-PRIME(01), 2023.048 12:27:32 RACF LOGGING OPTION IN EFFECT FOR
THIS TASK
ADR006I (001)-STEND(01), 2023.048 12:27:32 EXECUTION BEGINS

ADR411W (001)-DDFLT(02), 2023.048 12:27:36 DATA SET PVS.CL.AGENT IN CATALOG
CATALOG.PROD.USERCAT ON VOLUME S20254 WAS NOT
                         SERIALIZED ON REQUEST

ADR711I (001)-NEWDS(01), 2023.048 12:27:36 DATA SET PVS.CL.AGENT HAS BEEN
ALLOCATED WITH NEWNAME PVS.C6.AGENT.REX USING STORCLAS
                         NORMAL, DATACLAS DCVSAMP, AND MGMTCLAS NOTMANAG

ADR730W (001)-CVSAM(01), 2023.048 12:27:36 CLUSTER PVS.CL.AGENT IS OPEN

ADR806I (001)-T0MI (03), 2023.048 12:27:36 DATA SET PVS.CL.AGENT COPIED USING A
FAST REPLICATION FUNCTION                        <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
flashcopy used
ADR801I (001)-DDDS (01), 2023.048 12:27:36 DATA SET FILTERING IS COMPLETE. 1 OF
1 DATA SETS WERE SELECTED: 0 FAILED SERIALIZATION
                         AND 0 FAILED FOR OTHER REASONS

ADR454I (001)-DDDS (01), 2023.048 12:27:36 THE FOLLOWING DATA SETS WERE
SUCCESSFULLY PROCESSED
                          PVS.CL.AGENT

ADR006I (001)-STEND(02), 2023.048 12:27:36 EXECUTION ENDS

ADR013I (001)-CLTSK(01), 2023.048 12:27:36 TASK COMPLETED WITH RETURN CODE 0004

ADR012I (SCH)-DSSU (01), 2023.048 12:27:36 DFSMSDSS PROCESSING COMPLETE.
HIGHEST RETURN CODE IS 0004 FROM:
                         TASK    001

The reason I asked about the disk replication is that out of the box, flashcopy
is prohibited to send the target dataset to a replicated volume.  I believe
there some hoops that can be jumped through to make this happen (at least I
seem to remember reading about this at some point) but normally that's
prohibited.  If everything is set up properly, you don't need the FR(REQ) or
FR(anything) and DFDSS will use FC when it can and if it can't it'll do the
copy in the traditional way.

HTH

Rex