Yes,

Many products, SAS, several Broadcom, ASG (now Rocket) and several others now
send a file or files that they want loaded into a zfs.  Normally they ship it
in PAX format so that you can unpax it, but sometimes it's in other formats as
well.

I don't see any issues with creating the zfs for their use, whether it be
temporary until the end of the install, or as with SAS and Broadcom, lasting
for the life of the product.  It's just a file like any other vendor file and
you should treat it as such and manage it the same way.  Sometimes you can
archive it because they won't use it again, and sometimes you can't.  But, as I
said, you just manage it like you do all of their other datasets.

Brian