Currently, who is using TIME STCK and who is using TIME STCKE?

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Steve Pryor [st...@dtssoftware.com]
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2023 2:38 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: A question or two on zOS issues

There are a couple of pressing issues in z/OS that I'm sure many folks are
aware of but about which there doesn't seem to be much being done. I'm curious
as to what other IBM-MAINer's thoughts might be. Specifically, I'm talking
about:

1.) migration to IBM's latest COBOL release, and

2.) the not-really-that-far-off issue of Year 2042

I've been asked several times recently whether we (a z/OS ISV) should consider
developing products to address these issues. Frankly, though, I live in an
ivory tower and while I sometime *think* I know what installations problems and
needs are, I'm usually surprised to find that reality is quite different. So
I'd like to throw a couple of questions out to the list for comment:

1.) Would a reporting utility that determined which COBOL programs were
executed (and which ones weren't), and what release and options they were
compiled with be significantly helpful in a COBOL migration? What other
features would be nice to have? Or is this a low priority for most
installations, who are perhaps trying to justify keeping the mainframe alive
and/or conducting business as usual, let alone doing a COBOL migration project?

2.) It's rather shocking that 2042 is so close and not much seems to be
happening. We are one of the vendors that have a date-simulation utility, but
we don’t know if data centers have any near-term plans for 2042. Would it be
worthwhile to have a 2042 date-simulation product now, or is everyone going to
cross their fingers and try to use a test LPAR once the operating system fully
supports 2042 dates?

Thanks for any comments and insight the IBM-MAIN hive mind might have.

Steve Pryor
CTO
DTS Software, LLC