Michael Schmitt wrote, in part:
>REXX is so much better but I want to ask Mike Cowlishaw
>what he was thinking in making uninitialized variables
>default to their own name.

While as a programmer I agree with you, I'm pretty sure I know the answer:
Rexx was designed to be usable by non-programmers, who would not be expected
to understand what's a variable and what's not. In this model, a Rexx EXEC
is closer to a list of commands (hmm, whatever could we call such a
language?) than a program. Remember, VM was the original personal computing
environment, long before PCs.

As for whether he ultimately regretted the decision or not, I could ask him
but I suspect the existence of SIGNAL ON NOVALUE is an answer of sorts. And
SIGNAL ON NOVALUE-especially with the ability to trap it and report what the
variable was-is a perfect programmer-y answer, no? And thus fits the model
of non-programmers being the target/default user.