From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Schmitt, Michael [michael.schm...@dxc.com]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2023 5:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Stop the ragging on COBOL please

CLIST has nested variables, REXX doesn't. And CLIST has keyword style parms,
while REXX arguments are strictly positional. And, in REXX you can't turn off
first level substitution of &Variables when sending commands to ISREDIT, which
makes it tricky to do Edit macros, such as "change all &TEMPDSN to &TEMPDSN2".

But CLIST gets negative points for the way it wants to evaluate EVERYTHING,
recursively.

REXX is so much better but I want to ask Mike Cowlishaw what he was thinking in
making uninitialized variables default to their own name.