From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Pommier, Rex [rpomm...@sfgmembers.com]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2023 4:28 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Stop the ragging on COBOL please

Sorry, I'm going to "rag" on a language...  :-)  Admittedly I know next to
nothing about it.  My exposure to it consists of reading an article where
somebody took a 14 line JCL job and converted it to JOL and the JOL code ended
up somewhere around 70+ lines plus comments to explain what the program was
doing.   It appears that JOL now does a lot more than it used to do the last
time I actually looked at it.  However, in JCL's defense, how many people
actually build jobs (especially more complex multi-step jobs with IF/THEN,
conditional execution, etc. from scratch?  Same as with a typical Cobol
program, you take an existing program or JCL member and modify it to fit your
needs.

How many people here use JCL (whether you like it or hate it) on a regular
basis?   It's ubiquitous.

How many use JOL?

Rex