Why? Unless you use a strict (==) compare REXX will add trailing blanks.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
ITschak Mugzach [imugz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 6, 2023 12:22 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: REXX/COBOL conversion question

The variable is defined at level 05 so it is probably part of a structure
(group item in terms of cobol). You must maintain the copect length. For
example xxx = copies(' ',12).

Btw, the compare is ok and will work same as in cobol.
Best
ITschak

בתאריך יום ה׳, 6 באפר׳ 2023 ב-17:58 מאת Allan Staller <
00000387911dea17-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>:

> Classification: Confidential
> I have the following:
>
> COBOL:
> 05 FR-KWY PIC X(12).
> IF FR-KEY=SPACES
>               MOVE......
>
> REXX:
> IF fr_key = ' ' THEN
>               Move......
>
> Are these 2 statements equivalent? I suspect REXX will do a 1 -by compare
> vs. a 12 byte compare for COBOL.
>
> Can anyone confirm?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ::DISCLAIMER::
> ________________________________
> intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not
> guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
> corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain
> viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without
> referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator
> or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this
> email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
> dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or
> publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized
> representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before
> opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and
> other defects.

ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Continuous Monitoring
for z/OS, x/Linux & IBM I **| z/VM coming soon  *