The "principle of least astonishment" works well for me in Rexx, although I
confess it took a while to make the best of it :-)

Yes, I checked in ooRexx and in the docs for Regina:-

Comparison with = is case-sensitive and leading/trailing blanks are
stripped and/or added. So ("            " = "") evaluates to true.

Compare() is different--shorter string is padded on the right (with blanks
by default), but leading and trailing blanks are compared.

I wrote the proof-of-concept bytecode interpreter for my toy language
project in Rexx, and its rich text handling and arbitrary precision
arithmetic far outweighed its other quirks. 200-digit logarithms, anyone?
:-)

Roops
P.S. Most Rexx peops end up with something like dorexx.rex:-
/* Rexx to noodle about.
     Enter EXIT to quit */
do forever
  parse pull stuff