From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Bob
Bridges
Sent: Sunday, April 9, 2023 2:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: AI wipes out humanity?

An interesting article in some ways.  I don't take seriously all of its
speculations, partly because as a Christian I see world events progressing
rather differently.  But one assumption I want to question here starts with the
observation that all life seeks to survive, and speculates that AIs are likely
to 1) find themselves in competition with humans and therefore 2) conclude that
we have to be wiped out.

My challenge is this:  All life seeks to survive, yes, but AIs are not life.
Maybe they'll discover an urge to survive, but maybe that's not in their makeup
and cannot be.  Does anyone know?

Just a thought.

---

/* [Many young people today] resent the ethical demands of society as
infringements of their personal freedom.  They believe that their rights as
individuals include the right to "create their own values," but they cannot
explain what that means, aside from the right to do as they please.  They
cannot seem to grasp the idea that values imply some principle of moral
obligation.  -Christopher Lasch */