Thanks Tim. I suspected new customers were buying mainframes and I was waiting
for confirmation from someone like you who knew.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Sunday, May 21, 2023, 9:29 PM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:

Yes, there are brand new customers buying their first mainframes. IBM
periodically discloses this basic fact. Sometimes I'm personally involved,
sometimes when it's a "first in country" situation. (First in country?!? Yes,
really.) And sometimes I have personal knowledge of other new mainframe
customers. I'm reasonably sure I'm not hallucinating. :-)

It's a big world with many exciting developments.

Most new customers start with Linux but not all. Some add z/OS later. Some
start by renting various virtualized pieces of IBM mainframes on IBM Cloud —
there are many such choices now — then some later add "on premises" machines.
Some are banks, some are not. While there are some common patterns, each new
mainframe customer has their own unique needs.

Thank you all for your support.

—————
Timothy Sipples
Senior Architect
Digital Assets, Industry Solutions, and Cybersecurity
IBM zSystems/LinuxONE, Asia-Pacific
sipp...@sg.ibm.com