Used to use REGION=6M on batch jobs, and about 1% of jobs would abend
with S878.  To cure they would have to bounce the initiator to clear
up all memory allocation. Maybe bump up to 64000 to see if that is
enough memory?  I don't know if you can specify REGIONX=(24,31,64) for
TSO.

On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 3:12 PM Farley, Peter
<0000031df298a9da-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> This has happened to me twice this afternoon, and several other times in the
> last few months - I am trying to browse (from ISPF 3.4) a quite large
> sequential file (> 14500 cylinders of compressed data) for a record with a
> specific 31-byte key at the beginning of the record, and browse abends with
> S878 and throws me off TSO entirely, requiring me to login again each time.
>
> My TSO logon region size is set to 48000, so what in the world is making
> browse consume so much memory that it runs out and crashes my TSO session
> entirely?
>
> I know, OCO prevents anyone knowing for sure, but if you have any clue I'd
> appreciate knowing the answer.
>
> I've been forced to search that file using SORT in a batch job to keep the
> frustration level lower.
>
> Peter

> addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If
> the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized
> representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail
> and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA