I think MVS/ESA Unix was certified to  posix standard for U.S
government contracts.  Somebody paid for Linux to get the same
certification about the same era.  Most Linuxes are not certified.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/522413/why-are-most-linux-distributions-not-posix-compliant

On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 9:31 AM Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> IMHO Unix certification is not particularly relevant these days … it’s Linux
> tool chain compatibility that is.  I spend time frequently having to adjust
> to old “Unix” utilities and command line arguments that are not supported
> (grep -r anyone?)
>
> A refresh of the toolchain and open source languages would be more awesome
> than Unix95 certification.
>
> Matt Hogstrom
> m...@hogstrom.org
>
> “It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
> — Hogstrom
>

> > On May 26, 2023, at 9:40 AM, Tony Harminc <t...@harminc.net> wrote:
> >
> > The only use I have found in many years for having z/OS UNIX certified is
> > so that when someone says they hear that z/OS has a "UNIX emulator" or any
> > one of many similar bogus claims, I can say "No, z/OS *is* UNIX. And BTW
> > Linux is *not* UNIX." (Of course the FSF would say, Gnu's Not Unix.)"

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA