From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Rick Troth [tro...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 12:19 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OS 3.1: Now UNIXR Certified

It was 1995.
I remember because I was particularly enthused about the advent of
"OpenEdition" on MVS and on VM.
It was ironic, and a bit of a hoot, that other Unix systems (e.g.,
Slolaris, HPUX, even AIX) did not have the same certification.

There were two problems. First, USS was kinda slow for some things, and
a bit fragile when configuring and building many FLOSS applications.
Also EBCDIC. The POSIX spec didn't (or didn't clearly) address the
character set issue. I know that the problem has gotten "better", but
it's still a thing. I eventually backed off my own demand that "OE"
speak ASCII. The fact that newline was consistent and reliably
identifiable in both charsets was enough. But nobody really leveraged it
(newline as an A/E indicator) to the extent we should have.

In spite of the caveats, USS was (is) an excellent implementation.
OpenVM too!

-- R; <><