Thank you Charles.

you have just spelled out every single step that I have already performed.  The
named labels, the download steps (Only the new Intermediate was required)., the
upload steps, the Cert adds (yes trusted).  the keyring connect to the same
keyring used for the last successful loads.
I have gone further to display the cert by the long character string value.
and displayed the cert only to have it tell me "Incomplete" but not why.

It is annoying when you do the same thing that used to work.. that you have
been assured WILL work.... and it DOES NOT work.

For those of you playing the home game.  Here are some RACF displays

=-=-=-=
racdcert CERTAUTH list(label('GLOBALG2.TLS.RSA.SHA256.#2020CA1'))

Digital certificate information for CERTAUTH:

  Label: GLOBALG2.TLS.RSA.SHA256.#2020CA1
  Certificate ID: 2QiJmZmDhZmjgcfT1sLB08fyS+PT4kvZ4sFL4sjB8vX2S3vy8PLww8Hx
  Start Date: 2021/03/29 20:00:00
  End Date:   2031/03/29 19:59:59
  Serial Number:
       >0CF5BD062B5602F47AB8502C23CCF066<
  Issuer's Name:
       >CN=DigiCert Global Root G2.OU=www.digicert.com.O=DigiCert Inc.C=US<

  Subject's Name:
       >CN=DigiCert Global G2 TLS RSA SHA256 2020 CA1.O=DigiCert Inc.C=US<

  Signing Algorithm: sha256RSA
  Key Usage: CERTSIGN
  Key Type: RSA
  Key Size: 2048
  Private Key: NO
  Ring Associations:
   Ring Owner: TECH999
   Ring:
      >SMPEKeyring<
=-=-=-=-
racdcert id(TECH999) listring(SMPEKeyring)

Digital ring information for user TECH999:

  Ring:
       >SMPEKeyring<
  Certificate Label Name             Cert Owner     USAGE      DEFAULT
  DigiCert Global Root CA            CERTAUTH       CERTAUTH     NO

  DigiCert Global Root G2            CERTAUTH       CERTAUTH     NO

  SMPE Client Certificate            ID(TECH999)    CERTAUTH     NO

  GLOBALG2.TLS.RSA.SHA256.#2020CA1   CERTAUTH       CERTAUTH     NO
=-=-=-=-

I am beginning to suspect some new evil is afoot in the land of Java --
complete with unhelpful cryptic error messages.