From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Martin Packer
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2023 4:36 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXT] Re: Coupling Facility Structure Resizing

I presented - briefly - on this yesterday at the Munich Resilience/Resiliency
conference.

Yes, SMF 74-4 tells you what IS - and perhaps tells you stuff to make you
resize structures.

To the point, though: You need to think through the scenarios - both for memory
and CF CPU. For example, you probably aren't going to move XCF structures from
a failing CF to a surviving one. Likewise, you might forego duplexing of GBPs
or even LOCK1 in an emergency. (A third coupling facility to re-establish
duplexing is a luxury many customers don't have.)

Yes, you need some margin for growth. But you probably don't need 50% white
space in a CF.

But, to repeat, do it by walking through the scenarios. And SMF 74-4 is your
friend.

Cheers, Martin