Radek, I can't read the mind of Canadian legislators, but I would guess it has
to do with fraud.  I'm told that one can go through someone's trash, find old
bills (telephone, power etc) and use that information to convince someone at
the power company that I'm the householder because I have the bill, know the
account number etc.  Thence to defrauding the company and possibly the rightful
owner.  I'm guessing the Canadian thought is that the same sort of thing can
happen with employee number.

I've worked at one company, as I wrote earlier in this thread, that used emp#
for proof of identity when getting a password fixed over the phone.  I don't
think much of that scheme, and maybe that's why I go to that thought when
guessing about the Canadians' motives.  I have less sympathy for the user ID;
seems to me that's necessarily a known quantity, at least internally, sort of
like an IP address.

---

/* There's remarkable overlap between conservative and liberal complaints about
the culture. But when traditionalists talk the language of decency and
morality, the left hears bigotry and theocracy. And when liberals talk about
sensitivity and white privilege, the right hears something totalitarian. The
result is that the two sides hold separate conversations.  -Jonah Goldberg,
2007-04-17 */