> Container orchestration exists because some of those containers (or the
 > hosts they may run on) may have a problem.

Containers is just one of multiple solutions to a problem that most people
don't grasp.  Ask yourself what problems does Kubernetes containers resolve.
The problem exists on all of todays computers and it's only going to get worse.
The fastest CPU's can get past the 6Ghz speedlimit.
Since CPU manufacturers can't get past 6Ghz, they created CPUs that can run
concurrent tasks / threads using what they call cores  (z16 Max200 has 256
5.5Ghz cores with 200 available to the customer). In theory it's a 1,408Ghz
box. If there is only one task / thread, then it can only use 1 core making the
other 255 useless making it a 5.5Ghz computer.
This problem exists on all multi-core computers regardless of the number of
cores but multi-tasking is insignificant on a 4 core PC but a huge problem for
an HPE Cray EX235a with 8,730,112 cores. The problem has nothing to do with the
OS.
There are many solutions to help programmers with multi-tasking (and
multi-computer) to better utilize core usage. Kubernetes containers provides a
lot of functionality for a multi-computer solution but is it the best solution
for a Cray? Maybe Google's Go language using GoRoutines a better solution on a
Cray.    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 11:57:49 PM PDT, kekronbekron
<000002dee3fcae33-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

 > There are a lot of very wise an experienced folks who have quite clearly
 > stated that conatainers are critical to the future of z/OS.

And I don't doubt them, and surely my knowledge is far more limited.
What portion of it (containers being critical to zOS's future) is because zOS
has to play nice with the rest of the industry vs. zOS containers offering
something uniquely powerful?

> I don’t have a a problem with that (zOS Operator for Kubernetes etc.).

Neither do I, people & companies end up doing what they have resolved to anyway.
What makes me sad is that a solution such as this brutally hides all the
intelligent things that went into zOS over decades.
Unless zOS's python can get *real* hooks into the guts of zOS, the abstraction
of using Ansible to use python to issue zOS commands is... convoluted.
I don't know how it's acceptable to use 100 lines of YAML and Jinja and
whatnot, to parameterize a 10-line JCL.
What happened to ISPF skeletons and REXX, and provider abstractions to already
existing interfaces?

The other part is about messaging. zOS or mainframe are modern enough.
Maybe I'm interpreting material wrong, but showcasing Jenkins and 10-year old
distributed tech/techniques as modernization... I believe we can do better.

- KB