Billions is being spent on developing quantum computing. I doubt it’s because
they’ve got money to waste.

https://newsroom.ibm.com/2023-05-21-IBM-Launches-100-Million-Partnership-with-Global-Universities-to-Develop-Novel-Technologies-Towards-a-100,000-Qubit-Quantum-Centric-Supercomputer

https://thenextweb.com/news/europes-throwing-billions-at-quantum-computers-will-it-pay-off

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 11:29 PM, zMan <zedgarhoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bill, Bill, Bill. Stick to stuff you know something about. IF quantum
computers ever become realistically powerful, they will have VERY specific
uses. They are not suited for general-purpose computing. Nobody even
quantum-adjacent disputes that, as even the most cursory reading of the
research papers will tell you,

Note also that quantum machines with the many-thousands of qubits needed
for real use have been "almost here" for quite some time; most people who
aren't scamming money admit that they don't know when or even if they're
actually achievable. Which doesn't make the research a bad thing, of
course. Just keep your hand on your wallet.

On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 9:21 PM Bill Johnson <
00000047540adefe-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> Quantum computing is the future. And IBM is the leader.
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/karlfreund/2023/06/14/ibm-achieves-breakthrough-in-quantum-computing/
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
>

> On Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 8:47 PM, Jon Perryman <jperr...@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> IBM RHEL announced it's move to closed source (IBM RedHat Enterprise
> Linux). With some changes, DB2, RACF and other z/OS products could run in
> Linux on z16 in one sysplexed Linux image. We know it's possible because
> IBM moved Unix and TCP into z/OS. IBM RHEL said closed source would force
> non-paying customers to buy RHEL licenses but this makes no sense.
> Something else must be in play.
> I created a survey at https://forms.gle/ZTPXsDJo8Z4H93sv7 to gain
> insights into IBM's decision to close source RHEL. You can skip the survey
> if you don't want to take it and view the survey results through this
> website. Feel free to pass this along.
>  I think IBM wants to integrate z/OS products to retain their investments
> and expand their customer base..
> Why is the z/OS community ignoring IBM RHEL closed source? Are software
> vendors preparing their products for Linux?

zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"