Paypal stores your credit card information (if you want) and of course
wants you to maintain +ve balances rather than move the funds back to your
bank account. Possibly they have lots of money in those accounts which they
can use to invest and which are not probably FDIC guaranteed.

>From my limited understanding FedNow is a messaging service which supports
near instantaneous messages between two banks via the Federal Reserve. So a
payment from a customer at Bank A goes to the FedNOW system, deducts that
amount from the sending bank's Master account at the Fed and deposits that
same amount into Bank B's Master account. Then a whole bunch of messages
are exchanged to make sure both sides are correctly debited/credited. They
are using ISO20020 message format so that is the extent of the information
being sent from Bank A to Bank B.

Seems like a great service if your bank or CU offers it.