Jason,

as usually, it depends.

About Operlog analysis, it depends on the response-time you need.
At different customer sites I use automation product (BMC, IBM, Broadcom)
in order to catch specific messages and react asap with specific actions or
simply sending SMS/Mail.
Some others use external product (Splunk and similar) to collect, correlate
messages, showing nice graphic screens and sometimes react.

About the second question, I don't think there's a simply solutions with
SORT because the text of the message is really variable, the word count is
message specific and finally we cannot be sure that a "number" as last word
is a continuation hint.
Could you please better explain your goal ?

Best regards.
Max