On 7/31/23 9:28 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
But look at the dates and explain to me, e.g., how z is legacy but x86 is not, how z/OS is legacy but Unix is not, how COBOL and PL/I are legacy but C is not.

Oh! That's simple. "legacy" is what existed before the "new and hot thing" when someone was learning.

Translation, if it existed before you entered the field, it's "old".

I'm not saying that's correct. I'm just saying that simple liptmus test seems to cover most old / current / new both in computers and outside of computers.

old - before you
current - is you
new - after you

--