> On 2 Aug 2023, at 11:38 am, Jon Perryman <jperr...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 05:18:46 PM PDT, David Crayford
>> <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The obvious difference is that C/C++ etc are still evolving.
>> The z/OS COBOL compiler hasn’t implemented significant features
>> of the ANSI standard. If I were a COBOL programmer I would like
>> the language to support collections, dictionaries etc but I suppose
>> the type of applications where COBOL is used don’t require hash tables.
>
> Are you suggesting that COBOL programmers should stop using instorage VSAM
> KSDS and learn how to use collections, dictionaries and hash tables? Are you
> saying that KSDS doesn't solve these exact problems using a facility
> programmers use daily?

That’s not what I’m saying at all. My point is that IBM don’t invest in COBOL
to implement features in the language standard whereas MicroFocus do. Most
probably because they don’t have customer requirements asking for them. I
mostly program in C++ and Java these days and take it for granted that they
have built-in standard libraries for data structures and algorithms. COBOL
doesn’t even support dynamic arrays but most COBOL programmers are used to
having to use the file system to make up for the lack collections. Performing
binary searches using SEARCH ALL was as good as it got back when I was working
with COBOL.

> I don't use Cobol because it's boring and nothing to do with it's ability to
> solve business problems. I think that Cobol allows programmers to be business
> line experts instead of computer experts.

I’m not knocking COBOL. The raison d’être of the mainframe is to run
applications written in COBOL.