> On 4 Aug 2023, at 1:01 pm, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> David Crayford wrote:
>> Other platforms have integrated AI engines, AMD ZenDNN,
>> Intel oneDNN etc. Both ship with open source libraries and
>> toolkits sadly lacking for z/OS.
>
> Did you miss zDNN?

Nope, I’m aware. Not quite as open source as the other toolkits but it’s good
that IBM have embraced Github.

> https://github.com/IBM/zDNN
> https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=consider-z-deep-neural-network-library-zdnn

>> I noticed that IBM have shipped patched Python packages for
>> TensorFlow and SnapML that exploit Telum for Linux on Z.
>> I suppose like everything, we’ll have to wait a while for z/OS.
>
> Missed this one too?
>
> https://community.ibm.com/community/user/ibmz-and-linuxone/blogs/evan-rivera/2023/02/24/python-ai-toolkit-for-ibm-zos

I suspect you are not familiar with the Python AI Toolkit for z/OS. Apart from
SciPy, NumPy and some stuff for Jupyter notebooks there is nothing related to
AI in that bundle. It’s nothing more than a curated set of Python packages.
Please correct me if I’m wrong.

> Quoting from the IBM Redpaper:
>
> "The Python AI Toolkit for IBM z/OS also benefits from the IBM zSystems
> hardware investments that are lower in the stack. Acceleration from the IBM
> Integrated Accelerator for AI provides benefits when running AI workloads
> that are built on top of the Python AI Toolkit for IBM z/OS. With this
> workload execution acceleration, enterprises can meet successfully some of
> the most stringent service-level agreements (SLAs) when integrating AI into
> business-critical workloads."
>
> https://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp5709.html

Maybe wait until there is actually some tangible AI libraries such as
TensorFlow, PyTorch and SnapML before blowing trumpets.