> On 7 Aug 2023, at 2:46 pm, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> David Crayford wrote:
>> Maybe wait until there is actually some tangible AI libraries such as
>> TensorFlow, PyTorch and SnapML before blowing trumpets.
>
> Huh? You *can* run these libraries on z/OS, on zIIPs even. They run on the
> z/OS Container Extensions (zCX) or on OpenShift for z/OS, as you prefer. IBM
> documents this deployment pattern here (TensorFlow and SnapML examples):
>
> https://ibm.github.io/ai-on-z-101/tensorflow/
> https://ibm.github.io/ai-on-z-101/snapml/

Absolutely! The issue is that zCX is not a mature technology. zCX on OpenShift
has serious performance issues. It current hogs 5 zIIPS running idle (only
running OCP). Of course, it will improve just like DB2, Java etc but it’s not
ready for prime time yet.

> Are you asking specifically for z/OS UNIX System Services-based
> implementations?

Of course. Considering the zDDN library is available on z/OS I expected the
Python libraries to be available at the same time as Linux on Z.

> If so, have you asked IBM in an official way?

Yes. It’s in the pipeline but we can’t give you a date :) A bit like Java 17.
And that’s a bigger problem because Spring Boot moves to a Java 17 as the
baseline in December 2023 which is making a lot of vendors slightly nervous.
Although as CICS uses SB I have high hopes.