*The facts. According to Bill Johnson.American computer programmer Timothy
Paterson, a developer for Seattle Computer Products, wrote the original
operating system for the Intel Corporation’s 8086 microprocessor in 1980,
initially calling it QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System), which was
soon renamed 86-DOS. A year later, fledgling company Microsoft
purchased exclusive rights to sell the system, renamed MS-DOS, to IBM for
their newly developed IBM-PC. IBM-compatible versions were marketed as
PC-DOS. Version 1.0 was released in 1981; additional upgraded versions kept
pace with the rapidly evolving PC. Windows 95, introduced by Microsoft in
1995, incorporated MS-DOS 7.0 but ultimately superseded the MS-DOS
platform. Starting with Windows NT, Microsoft’s operating systems were
designed independently of MS-DOS, though they were capable of running some
MS-DOS applications.*

Facts but missing lots of pivotal events. No mention of Gary Kildall.
Windows 2.0 was a brief look at a Windows O/S. Windows 3.0 preceded WIN 95
as did Windows 3.1.

Really who cares?

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 6:09 AM Jon Perryman <jperr...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>  > On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 03:15:12 PM PDT, Grant Taylor wrote:
>
> On 8/14/23 3:16 PM, Bob Bridges wrote:
>
> > My hang up is that -- as I understand it -- DOS was /never/ IBM's to
> start with.
>
> > DOS was /Microsoft's.
>

> Again, if you want some insights, you can watch
> https://youtu.be/Qc5khH5gllg?t=339 that seems to be the prevalent story.
> Is this different from the story as you understand it?
>
> 1. MS-DOS did not exist prior to IBM / Bill Gates meeting.
>
> 2. IBM wanted a new OS. IBM contractred Gates to create this OS which was
> to be called PC DOS.
>
> 3. Because IBM was gun shy from anti-trust lawsuits, it chose to exclude
> ownership of PC DOS thus allowing PC-DOS to be sold as MS-DOS by Microsoft.
>
> Microsoft was not the sole owner of DOS. One piece of software was owned
> by IBM and Microsoft. It was IBM's choice not to retain sole ownership of
> DOS.

Wayne V. Bickerdike