From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
David Crayford [dcrayf...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2023 5:38 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Strange results for the PS1 prompt with z/OS Unix

What version of bash are you using? Rocket software's port or IBM z/OS
Open Tools?

Irrespective, bash is an enhanced ASCII application so make sure you
have the following environment variables set in your profile login
scripts by entering "env | sort" from the shell command line.

_BPXK_AUTOCVT=ON
_CEE_RUNOPTS=FILETAG(AUTOCVT,AUTOTAG) TERMTHDACT(UADUMP) ABTERMENC(ABEND)
_TAG_REDIR_ERR=txt
_TAG_REDIR_IN=txt
_TAG_REDIR_OUT=txt

Incidentally, I noticed that IBM are shipping zsh as part of z/OS 3.1 so
bye, bye bash.

I've being using zsh for years and it turbo charges the shell. For
example, there are open source themes such as oh-my-zsh and
powerline10k. The powerline customizes PS1 with fancy glyphs. The
current Git branch, commits and other information is shown. It's next
level to the dull one your using :). Also, there is zsh-autosuggestions
which recalls previous commands for auto completion. oh-my-zsh also
provides a plugin for git command completion and other super cool
command completions that make using the shell as easy as an IDE.

https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/tree/master
https://github.com/romkatv/powerlevel10k
https://github.com/zsh-users/zsh-autosuggestions

To enable the cool glyphs you will need to install Nerd fonts and
configure your terminal emulator. If you're a Windows user and using
PuTTY I recommend switching to Windows Terminial (preferably with WSL2)
which has tabs, tiled windows and is just miles better. If you're on a
Mac like me it's easy to configure Termimal, iTerm2 or whatever emulator
you use. Same with Linux desktops. On z/OS "export TERM=xterm-256color"

In the meantime, there is a port of powerline-go as part of the Z/OS
Open Tools project. If you have downloaded the installer you can install
it simply by running "zopen install powerlinegoport".

https://github.com/justjanne/powerline-go   # instructions how to
configure it with bash

*Z Shell (Zsh) on z/OS*

The Z Shell (Zsh), specifically Zsh 5.8.1, has been ported and made
available on z/OS 3.1. Zsh is a UNIX command interpreter that is used as
an interactive login shell and as a shell script command processor. It
has command-line editing, built-in spelling correction, programmable
command completion, shell functions (with autoloading), a history
mechanism, and a host of other features. With the extensibility, rich
customization, and advanced features, Zsh provides a modern and powerful
shell on z/OS. It is designed to accelerate users' daily work and have
consistent behavior with other open platforms.