On 8 May 2013 16:59, Pew, Curtis G <curtis....@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:
> On May 8, 2013, at 3:50 PM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Your sort of B/T has important uses, but one composed only of
>> addresses is useful too.  Perhaps it shoul;d be called an address
>> table to avoid confusion.  I will; send you an example privately.
>
> If you have a table with 8 byte addresses you can still use the multiple-of-4
> return code convention, just shift left one bit before using it as an index.

By the same token, you can have multiple-of-1 (i.e. arbitrary positive
integer - is there a better name?) return codes, and shift left by 2
or 3 bits as appropriate. But it may be that the existing convention
to some extent discourages very sparse return code domains, which
makes the branch or address table scheme largely unusable.

Tony H.