---------- Original Message ----------
From: Bernd Oppolzer <bernd.oppol...@t-online.de>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is the IBM Assembler List still alive
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 09:28:10 +0200

Not true. I'm currently working for 2 customers (insurance companies),
both use "high level" languages like COBOL and PL/1 (and C), but in both
companies
there is a need for ASSEMBLER coding now and then, be it enhancement to
compile supporting routines
retrieving sources from CA Librarian libraries (where the software
supplier does it wrong)
or diagnose programs for checking out IBM errors in CICS web service
interfaces
or maintenance for tools that the customer wrote in the 1980s (in
ASSEMBLER) etc. etc.

In both companies I'm the only person who still can code ASSEMBLER, and
that's the reason
why I'm always busy and still working (I'm 64 now).

Furthermore, if you know ASSEMBLER, you can support the COBOL and PL/1
co-workers, when it
comes to performance analysis and dump reading etc., because you can
tell the meaning of the
statements around the error location by looking at the machine code or
the ASSEMBLER code in compile listings

If you still have a large ASSEMBLER code base, you also need people
capable of managing it;
unfortunately, management does not always accept this simple truth. Same
goes, if you plan
to migrate such applications to another platform; you will never
succeed, if you don't listen
to the ASSEMBLER experts who know what's inside the applications.

Fun fact: in a migration project, which ran into problems recently
because of bad analysis and planning,
the management now calls the people with knowledge "insiders" ... much
the same way like insiders
in stock trade. This IMO is very disrespectful; we didn't refuse to tell
the managers what we know etc.;
we simple weren't asked.

Kind regards,
have a nice weekend