1 persons experience doesn’t prove anything. The fact is assembler is becoming
less and less important as a skillset. Anyone who thinks learning it now is a
worthwhile exercise is a fool. Yeah, I went through college when Assembler was
a mandatory course and COBOL was an elective. Guess which was infinitely more
critical in my career! In college we coded almost exclusively in PL/I, which
I’ll bet was in deference to IBM. Never used it once in the real world. Like I
mentioned previously, one professor said there’s no reason to learn JCL because
it will be obsolete soon. That was 1980. JCL was probably the most important
skill of my career. I did make one misstatement earlier about never using
Assembler. One time around 2010, we needed to change IEFUSI. Three of us were
able to make the necessary adjustments.

In 40+ years in IT, 20+ in tech support, other than the one time mentioned
above, none of my colleagues ever needed to make changes to assembler code. In
fact, making changes to delivered software can be dangerous.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Sunday, September 3, 2023, 11:45 AM, g...@gabegold.com <g...@gabegold.com>