From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Bill Johnson <00000047540adefe-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2023 12:32 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: AI will surpass human intelligence!

You should read some history of the Jewish ghettos of Europe. Also read up on
the pope declaring “Cum nimis absurdum”. You got to love the Christians right?
An excerpt.

In 1555, Pope Paul IV issued the “Cum nimis absurdum” proclamation, which
required the Jews of Rome to live in separate quarters and also severely
restricted their rights, including what businesses they could engage in. The
purpose of this edict was to encourage conversion to Catholicism, an act that
would serve as a ticket out of the ghetto. The ghetto made a clear distinction
to the wider society between those who were accepted” and those who were not.
Though anti-Semitism was alive and well in the centuries that preceded this
papal order, until 1555 the Jews of Rome had enjoyed freedom of movement. Under
the papal order, they were relocated to a crowded and unsanitary area that
regularly was flooded by the Tiber River. While the ghetto was a place of
squalor, the rest of the city was being built up with magnificent churches.
This contrast allowed the authorities to highlight the differences between Jews
and Christians, making it seem as though the destitute living conditions of the
ghetto were the natural consequences of denying the divinity of Christ. Though
the ghetto was designed to segregate Jews, who were seen as a threat to
Catholicism, it did not stop Jews and Christians from maintaining social and
economic interactions; indeed Christians were allowed to enter the Roman ghetto
during the day.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Sunday, September 17, 2023, 11:50 AM, Bill Johnson