.
> 2.    On the SMP/E RECEIVE command, I believe that in 99.44% (or higher)
> cases, an RPREFIX will be needed. And I can specify this using a variable
> (now!). In the unlikely event that no RPREFIX is needed, it appears from
> my testing that you cannot just say
>    RECEIVE SYSMODS RFPREFIX() .
> or, more precisely:
>   RECEIVE SYSMODS RFPREFIX(&RPREFIX) .
> where &RPREFIX is null. Is that correct? I can handle this via doc and
> comments, but of course would rather not if there's a way around it.

If the length of the prefix can be limited to seven characters then this can be
used:

// SET Q=''''
// SET RPREFIX=
// SET RFPFXPRM=
.
.
// SET RPREFIX=prefix          When needed
.
.
// SET A=&RPREFIX
// SET A&RPREFIX=' '
// SET O=&A,RFPFXPRM=&Q.RFPREFIX(&RPREFIX)&Q
.
.
RECEIVE SYSMODS &RFPFXPRM .

If an eight character prefix must be allowed then use a blank as its default
value:

// SET Q=''''
// SET RPREFIX=' '
// SET RFPFXPRM=
.
.
// SET RPREFIX=prefix          When needed
.
.
// SET O=&RPREFIX,RFPFXPRM=&Q.RFPREFIX(&RPREFIX)&Q
.
.
RECEIVE SYSMODS &RFPFXPRM .

I've used both techniques, the second often, the first not so much.

Peter Hannigan
Kyndryl